»

28 February 2005

Wizard of Oz

If you are up to date in looking at my pictures online, then you will naturally remember one picture I took that had an access closed sign up on a path. Of course you remember it. Well, I had decided to take a trip up there when they stopped the construction because of course I wanted to see what all the construction was about. Yesterday I went off to class and when I came back there was a house on top of that hill that I wanted to venture up. A house. There hadn't been anything when I left for class and less than two hours later, an entire house had been placed on top of the hill. For one thing, I was disappointed because was sure that they had dropped this house from a crane (or helicopter, naturally) and equally sure that that would have been really fun to see. So I'm like a six year old boy when construction starts happening in the neighborhood. It's just too fun to see big old cranes and machinery do all the cool stuff that it does. But also, I was disappointed because it had been a pretty little path leading up into flowers and sky and now there's a crappy student house there. Now I can't go up there... it leads only to some other drunken uni house that I would rather avoid than climb a big old hill to see.

I do have to say that it did give me a night of great imagined stories. While I didn't see any curled-up feet of the wicked witch under this house, I couldn't see very well and they could have been there. Also, I had some Simpsons'-inspired humour about some people joining the witness protection program, but refusing to leave their house -- so they plopped it on some random open hill. I also had visions of pudgy, drunken uni students rolling down said hill in zigzag fashion, bumping into and off of the corners in the path. I pictured also my ducks waddling up the hill to get the better pizza crusts instead of my seeded bread.

So while this house invaded my wanderlust by blocking my path, it did open up my imagination enough to make me laugh out loud on the walk home. I'm not kidding -- I am sure my neighbors think of me as the crazy lady who laughs by herself and feeds the ducks. I am the crazy duck lady, and let me tell you -- life is pretty good.

0 comments: