»

23 February 2005

Some Things Never Change

So I finally took some of my dad's advice. I know, we're all shocked. He told me not to resist going to the international student party just because it was the international student party. He was right, it was really fun. It was my first time out and drinking New Zealand beer (which is pretty good) with people and I liked it. But it reminded me of college, which I think is okay because it is a college. But I realized that I really missed being out and about and meeting new people. I even missed the drama that comes in trying to get a group of ten people from one bar to another one several blocks away. If you don't see the drama that would rampantly ensue, then you obviously weren't in a sorority. It was even fun to see drunken groups of guys on their front porch desperately trying to encourage the party of the century in their house. I also enjoyed hearing the ghetto booty music that I thought was reserved for fine establishments like Northside and Buddy N' Pals. Turns out, people here like to use music as a diversionary tactic for their desire to grope and rub up on each other too. Granted, I don't want to leap headfirst back into the drunken abyss of college life again, but it's nice to visit sometimes.

Drama can be good because it keeps life interesting. I like seeing the unique relationships that develop with a mixture of alcohol, and after seeing that party last night, I wonder why all "mixers" don't start with a heaping portion of alcohol. I know that the drinking age is higher in the States, but please? How much easier would freshman orientation be if it was booze soaked and organized by the university? Maybe someday it could happen in the fine schools and not in the house parties where freshman girls are lured with alcohol to waiting boys' doors, but I guess they like their system better.

On a completely random note, I need to mention two animal stories to you. On my way to the library today, I saw a dog like Bailey. This story will really be more funny to those of you who have had the privilege of meeting Bailey. I immediately when into pouty, tearing up face because I really miss my dog. But then I realized that this dog didn't really look like Bailey, but I couldn't figure it out. I looked at her haircut, her leash color, nothing. I then realized that this dog was obeying commands and walking correctly. I no longer missed Bailey because this dog was nothing like Bailey.

Second story involved ducks. I have three ducks now. They come to my window in the afternoon and I give them bread, pita, or tortilla depending on my stock. Well, evidently they got awfully tired after mowing down on my pita and attacking each other for my pita (I hate when they fight), and two of them hung back and fell asleep by my window. They looked like real people, with slowly nodding off and having their heads fall down only to jerk them back up. One of them even shook his head to wake himself up!! I kid you not. So now, my love affair with my ducks has only flourished in seeing them be absolutely adorable.

The End.

0 comments: