»

14 February 2005

If I Were a Rich Girl...

As a budding teacher, I am quite familiar with writing prompts. You know, the hypothetical questions we have to come up with so that you kids will actually write. Well, one of the typical ones is what would you do if you had a million dollars, or whatever sum of money these days that would mean you no longer had to work. And no, we'll ignore the obvious desire to quote Office Space, "Two chicks at the same time." I mean really.
For a long time, I said I would teach or be a cashier. I know... but I really do love teaching and the way kids can keep you young and old all at once. The cashier thing? I just liked it. I like small shiny beeping objects, so cashiering was really great. In the past few months, I have been living the life of a nomadic drifter (as compared to the non-drifting nomad) and I have re-evaluated my "what if" scenario. I would be utterly social, and not contribute to society at all. I know that given my last blog entry, you may think this odd, but I want to be the eccentric old rich lady. I would have brunch with my friends, go to movies, theatre, travel, explore new areas forever. I would live in one area until it had bored me thoroughly, then go to a new one. Screw working. No one typically appreciates what you do as a teacher(or anything else, for that matter), so why be noble and good for society? I'll appreciate what I'm doing, and isn't some gratification better than none? There is so much world that we never get to see, so why not do it? Well, the most obvious reason is that I don't have this unnamed sum of money that would provide me the means for this wandering life.
But it certainly gives me a dilemma. When I do become a teacher (and not an eccentric old socialite), do I tell the kids that if I didn't have to I wouldn't be teaching them? Um, yes. I will tell them. Little brats should appreciate what I'm doing and what life I've sacrificed for them. Plus, I think kids respond better to the idea that my ideal life does not include teaching them about dangling participles.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's a dangling participle?