»

24 February 2005

Now I Get It

So I finally have a busy schedule again and I had several moments yesterday that reminded me why I wanted to come all the way across the globe. All of the international kids went on a tour of the peninsula nearby. It was great because we were just driving through the country and it was so pretty! Pastoral, but near water, so there were sheep and flowers and hills and an ocean all in the same area. Gorgeous. I got to see two penguins up close (look forward to pictures when I get my new power cord in the mail), a huge seal that I saw charge some girl who got too close, albatross, and the ocean. There were beautiful sights and a peace and calm that I just don't get to experience on a regular basis. These are the kinds of sights that make you feel lazy for not yet windsurfing, bungee jumping, or skydiving. I loved it. The land truly is inspiring and that was exciting, but then also...

Social life has rejoined me. Last night I walked in the rain with friends to a jazz bar and had New Zealand wine. I was talking with people from France, Malaysia, Switzerland, and New Zealand even. :) I just stopped and looked around and had to smile. This is what I wanted to be doing and I do know I could have gone a lot of different places to do it. But I am here and loving it. It's the kind of environment that reminds you that there are so many people who do so much and know so much and you just want to stay afloat. I want to learn like five new languages and know all about international politics and hear all kinds of music. So while this entry might not be hysterical, laughing at me and the birds (which do still hunt me), I just wanted to say that I wanted to remember that there is so much more to this big old world we live in and I certainly do remember that.

0 comments: