»

18 July 2006

Free Gift with Purchase

I was just having a conversation yesterday about how unfair it was that celebrities get free stuff. The costly and gorgeous clothes stars wear down the red carpet are usually gifts to promote the designer's line. They get free gift baskets that cost more than a year of teacher's salary would be. It just seems unfair. I mean, they are the only ones who can afford a $10,000 dress with 1/2 million dollar earrings to match. But they get them for free.

Well, I had to bite my tongue about it today. In other fit of budgeting (which is getting more and more frequent, I must say), I decided to have a small lunch from home (costing a whopping 35 cents). But, at about 10.30am, my co-workers informed me that a morning tea had been put on for my department because of a co-worker's birthday. I scarfed down cheese rolls, biscuits, crackers and hummus, and chocolate. Then, I was told that the Law Faculty was treating my office to lunch for all our hard work over the past few months (I do measly filing and only for about a month). I took them up on it. I am regrettably full of food I didn't pay for. What about the poor people who can't scrounge together money for a meal? I get two free meals in one day, in the space of three hours.

It's the same thing I just complained about, but on a smaller scale. And you know what? It feels pretty nice. Shame.

0 comments: