»

02 June 2008

Insomnia rears its ugly head again

Insomnia has always plagued my life. It's been really bad the past few days/nights. I am adhering to the philosophy that when I'm tired, I'll sleep. Of course, I've been tired for days...

Anyway, I am going to update on what I've been seeing and reading. I finally have the chance to catch up a little on things, and I wanted to do reviews. Because everyone cares what I think.

Okay, this movie was awesome. I love Tiny Fey and anything she does. I thought Mean Girls was a new kind of movie and I dig it. This one is fun and intelligent too. But Amy Poehler is surprising me. I don't know if I just didn't notice her before, but she's super funny! And pretty in this photoshopped picture, too. Seriously, she has a banging body, but I never noticed before.

Regardless, this movie has allowed me some new favorite one liners and had me actually laughing uncontrollably in a movie theater which hasn't happened in a while. It's not "good" the whole way through, but it's a good comedy and those are pretty rare these days.



Naturally and of course, I saw the SatC movie. I loved it. Again, I don't know that it was "good" in a quality sense, but I think it captured perfectly what the audience wanted. Also, I was hysterically and uncontrollably crying in a theater which hasn't happened for a while either. My stifled hysterics reminded me of my seeing Titanic when I was young and impressionable. Now, that's some crying, my friend.

On a side note though, I wanted to see if Greg Behrendt (sp?) was a writer on the movie too. He's the guy who wrote the line, "He's just not that into you" which has become a national phenomenon as far as lines from shows go. They don't show writers on the end credits. Is that a crime? I mean, this movie that was the epitome and the end of SatC wrenched a few souls out there, not just mine. And I don't get to know who wrote it? It's sacrilege.

Regardless, I was more than pleased. I mean, this is like when the make comic book movies and all the nerds freak out. I was the queen of the analogous nerds and I didn't hate it at all.

Also, I'll say this: I don't frequently feel connected to the universe or to people around me. Things like graduations and other similar ceremonies make me notice the pomp and circumstance (pun sort of intended) of such situations. Who cares? Why are we all here walking in a line across a stage? But I had a feeling of connectedness as I waited to see this movie and as I sat there with a bunch of people spellbound during the movie. There were girls dressed to the nines, excited to have an occasion to wear those freakin' Gladiator heels that are so in. There were gay guys loudly ranting about their Cosmos they had before the movie. But there were also tattooed biker chicks and seemingly heterosexual males that weren't dragged there (like my hubs - who will admit to liking the show anyway). There were kids, there were grandmas and grandpas. People of all kinds felt this show and these characters like I did. It was like being in line for the last Harry Potter book -- you just feel connected to an idea and a communicated truth and it was super. Warm and fuzzy and all that. :)




Now, to switch modes entirely, the hubs is making me watch Oz from beginning to end. I kid you not, this show haunts my dreams. We just finished the first season and it's the most disturbing thing I have ever seen. Seeing people pushed to extremes is sad and harsh. I don't even know what to say about it because I feel like I don't want to give away plot, but realize I am apparently the only person in America to have never seen this show and it's like ten years old.

The characters are well portrayed; some of the people I know now from other things but I can't like them anymore. The dad from Juno? He's a meanie rapist.

I mean, this is where I am: can you imagine being someone's butt rape slave? Because I can't. I waited an entire season to see this guy lash out and react, to stick up for himself, to do something, anything to stop what was happening to him. And when he did? Seriously, I had nightmares. It wasn't good to see him go crazy. He's just a crazy, broken man. Seeing people broken and battered and left alone is sad.

It also reminds me of high school. Not so much the butt rape part, as the forced roles that affect the rest of your life and weird arbitrary rules that are clearly meant to break your spirit, but isn't that the same thing?

Regardless, I have to keep watching because the hubs loves it and I made him watch the whole series of Sex and the City and frequently make him watch feminine crap, but man-oh-man. It's rough and reminds me of what HBO used to be.




I finally finished reading this monster of a book at about 4 today. You know how there are books where you almost slow down reading at the end because you want the book to keep going? This is not one of those books. It's good, don't get me wrong. There's some great imagery and a poetic sense of wrapping histories together to create the one relevant one. But... I mean, there's only one relevant story, right? I just feel like I didn't need the 250+ preceding years of history of this one character's family and multiple national sociopolitical histories to get the story.

Again, it's beautiful. It ends well which is critical for me. I recommend it, but I couldn't read it during the school year because I had a job and reading this thing was like a second job. Most people already have a job, so this book wouldn't be ideal. :) It does make me want to read Virgin Suicides (same author) because I do like his writing style and I hear that one isn't 700 pages (a slight exaggeration... slight).




One phrase: the emperor has no clothes. This was the worst movie ever. This could be because I just didn't get it. I had that moment. I knew it won awards and was "awesome" and kids and adults liked it. I was watching and thought, "Man, what is the point of all this?" I quickly hushed myself because many, many people thought it was important and vital and moving. Then I realized it was totally an emperor has no clothes situation. I kept waiting. Was there a moral? Am I supposed to like any of the characters? Am I supposed to hate them? But I just never got there. I ended up waiting for the (in)famous "I drink your milkshake" line and even then, I had built it up too much.
In the end, I wish I hadn't bothered. I can summarize the movie for you. Daniel Day Lewis basically is mean and says "I'm an oil man" a lot and then figuratively (apparently) drinks another man's milkshake. The end.
I guess I've seen other things and read a bunch of books recently. But I realize these reviews aren't good, and are more insomniac rants about things I've seen. That's no good. :) I'm going to go to bed and wait for sleep to come. It is 5am after all and I successfully wasted an hour in rambling at you.




0 comments: