»

25 June 2008

The end of this apartment

Move out day is finally approaching. Though it'd be nice if it weren't in the worst heat in the year, it'd be better, but I am just happy to be getting out.

Yesterday, we were scheduled to have our annual apartment inspection. They came an hour late (not even an hour late for my scheduled time - it was an hour after inspection hours were over for the whole building) and almost caught me in the shower. I started the list of things wrong with my apartment: rotting insides of the dishwasher, running toilet, air filters that hadn't been cleaned since we moved in a year and a half ago, weekly clogging of the drain in the shower, broken towel rack in the bathroom, etc. The lady looks at me and says, "Is your shower leaking?" I said, "Um, no. I waited until the cut off time to take my shower. So I just took my shower." Awkwardly long pause. "So... um, that's why it's wet?"

She assured me that they would put a work order in for this leaky shower business right away. I sighed, thanked them, and let them out of the apartment. I am so excited to move out. I am also excited to buy more furniture from IKEA. Such bliss.

In an oddly connected way, I now need a new wardrobe. As I have been slowly chipping myself away for 6 months here, nothing fits me well anymore. Since we're moving, I just got rid of everything that didn't have a future. That leaves me with one pair of capris and some tshirts (unless I'm wearing dresses or dressing up every day - by the way, it's triple digits every day now). I decided to own this aspect of myself and roll with the white trash. I bought a 6 pack of v-neck white tshirts, old man style. Now I wear one of these with the capris everyday.

(Part of this is exaggerated. I don't wear the same thing every day. I switch it up and I will wear a skirt and heels just for a change of pace. Also, I don't do anything in the summer. I go to the gym and the library. If I go out to eat or something, then I dress up, but why bother otherwise? It just occurred to me that the boy must love me in summer.)

Now that we're moving to a place that I don't fear or loathe the neighbors, it's probably not best to look like I'm wearing the same clothes everyday. School is coming up soon though, and I do so love back-to-school clothes shopping!

0 comments: