»

16 September 2008

I'm missing something

If it wasn't so creepy, I'd take a picture of what's going on outside my window. My apartment complex is having a Fire Safety party. No, I'm serious. There were posters taped on all our doors last week about how there would be "Free food and fire safety!" I did not amp up the same way the rest of my neighbors apparently did.

Now, don't get me wrong; I like my apartment complex. I am pleased to have moved out of my ghetto existence over two months ago. (Time flies, by the by.) Usually, like now, a group of kids plays soccer in the grassy area outside my window. It's nice to finally have the sound of conversations, children's laughter, and puppies barking near where I live again.

However.

I don't understand why there are balloons, food, and (most importantly) more than 50 people on my grassy area listening to fire safety. A fireman, one can only assume, is standing demonstrating the equipment and handing out informational brochures. And people are taking them! And listening! If I could only get that kind of enthusiasm in my classroom...

Again, I am approximately two years from being the old, crotchety woman who looks out her window muttering, "Oh my; oh my." Maybe I'm just anti-social. Maybe they're all just pumped for an opportunity to hang out, eat free food, and make their kids unafraid of the Darth Vader-esque firefighters. Maybe.

Or maybe I just moved into Crazytown, USA.

Either way, Happy Fire Safety Day!

0 comments: